Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
Cross Her Heart
Cross Her HeartMarioMolina (3)
Good Read

I really enjoyed this book from the very beginning. The main character was likable and I loved the contrast to her former identity and how she used her previous life to fight Katie. I enjoyed every one of the plot twists and actually thought Katie would be Julia... which by the way, i wish Julia's boss would have found out about the stealing! I though Ava was too much of a Brat though. One more thing, I would have loved to see Lisa's relationship with Simon be explored more.

Cross Her HeartChristineDuane (58)
Not as good as Behind Her Eyes

I read Behind Her Eyes and when I finished that one, I remember being like “WTF just happened?!” And I was hoping for another ending like that. But Cross Her Heart just did not do it :( I also was annoyed that Katie appeared out of nowhere halfway through the book.

Kayla (110)
*Spoilers* I agree with you about Katie. What really seemed "off" to me was that Katie ended up being the mom of Ava's friend (or really Ava's friend). A person would need a A LOT of plastic surgery to be mistaken for a teenager when they are in their 40s. I did not love Behind Her Eyes (the ending was too out there for me) but I tried to give this one another shot and it fell flat. Bummer.
Hana (22)
I think that was the weakest point to me too. I was kind of hoping it would be the swim coach or someone like that - someone that Ava would trust, but not someone that close. Oh well :(
TBurr (25)
Katie being both Jodie and Jodie's mom (blanking on the name right now) was a HARD pass for me. It didn't make any sense and it's not believable at all.
MarteenMarie (6)
Agreed! That twist was more of a let down than shocking.
Cross Her HeartBriash26 (1)
Great Read!

I'm normally not into thrillers but this one left me at the edge of my seat, I simply could not put it down and from the guilt that she felt, I just knew that Lisa/Charlotte could not have killed Daniel.

LizAnderson (2)
Totally agree with the discussion about the "made for tv movie" feeling. I enjoyed this book, it was fun to read, but I didn't love it as much as others -- I think mainly because everything ended so neatly. The thing I enjoy about thrillers is putting them down and being like HOLY COW, I did not see that coming, and how the ending may not have end nice and neat. Gone Girl is a great example, The Woman in the Window, another amazing example.
bkharr (11)
I enjoyed this one; it ended plausibly but not too predictably or, as some have mentioned, too far afield. It was definitely a page turner (but on reflection now that I'm finished, is it any better than a made-for-TV movie?)
Kayla (110)
As I was reading this book, I was REALLY into it... Until I was nearing the end. Some things came together a little too easily. I agree that when all is said and done, it feels a little like a Lifetime Movie. I did find it entertaining so I would probably give this 3.5 stars out of 5. I am looking forward to jumping into a new book with a little more substance.
Hana (22)
I agree - I think part of my problem, though, was I had read a few reviews and had some clues going into the book. Once the overall backstory was solved, the rest felt a little more obvious. I think it's one that would be better going in with as little background knowledge as possible.
BWright (1)
Very cool! I am not normally into thrillers either. I usually read fantasy or literary fiction (Reading The Silence of the Girls ATM) I'll be sure to add it to my next box. Always good to branch out. I feel like BOTM selections are a good opportunity to do so.
Cross Her HeartKayla (110)
Intrigued but hoping for a different ending!

I read 'Behind Her Eyes' and loved every minute of it ... up until the last 10 pages. It was so unrealistic and the body swapping plot simply ruined the book for me. I was skeptical to get this one, but the reviews online looked positive. I find that the market is saturated with thrillers yet most of them are predictable or feel unoriginal. I'm hoping this one is different!

RKAlexandropo (10)
In general, thrillers have a sort of conundrum, don't they? If you do something completely out of left-field, it feels unbelievable and makes the build-up pointless. However, if the author plays it safe, it's cliché. I think subtle foreshadowing is a big help; not giving it away, but definitely casting doubt on the situation if the author plans on having a surprise in the last chapter. That feeling that something is just not right or lining up. Plus, there are authors whose strength is developing the chase, and some who excel at brilliant climaxes. Rarely both.
Hana (22)
Agreed! I think it's such a delicate balance for clue dropping and avoiding cliches. And sometimes it seems like the ideas that were new and original a year ago become overdone so fast!
RachelWilhelm (1)
I picked this one. I haven't started it yet.
RKAlexandropo (10)
In general, thrillers have a sort of conundrum, don't they? If you do something completely out of left-field, it feels unbelievable and makes the build-up pointless. However, if the author plays it safe, it's cliché. I think subtle foreshadowing is a big help; not giving it away, but definitely casting doubt on the situation if the author plans on having a surprise in the last chapter. That feeling that something is just not right or lining up. Plus, there are authors whose strength is developing the chase, and some who excel at brilliant climaxes. Rarely both.
Kayla (110)
I agree with what you are saying. Ever since Gone Girl was published I feel that all books are trying to be the next Gone Girl. Unfortunately, this has opened up the floodgates for a lot of bad thrillers. I will report that I am about 80 pages into this book and while I'm pretty sure I've picked up on one of the twists, I really enjoy it so far. It is quick to get through with short chapters and I think this structure helps to keep the reader engaged.
RKAlexandropo (10)
BTW, Sorry about posting so many times, I think my browser messes things up lol
RKAlexandropo (10)
RKAlexandropo (10)
RKAlexandropo (10)
RKAlexandropo (10)
RKAlexandropo (10)