Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
Sleeping Giants
Sleeping GiantsMauraW (4)
Trilogy Book #1

This book took me forever to read, I just could not get into it... until I did. And then I couldn't stop. Unfortunately for this book, that didn't happen until nearly the end. However, I keep reminding myself that this is only book 1 of a trilogy, which means it's going to entail a lot of story set-up. For those interested, I've read the second book (the third was released in 2018, but I haven't read it) and it was in my opinion a lot better than the first. Definitely worth the read!

Sleeping Giantsshel312 (9)
Similar to The Iron Giant?

Loved Sleeping Giants! I am currently reading The Iron Giant by Ted Hughes with my 4th grade class and can't help to recognize so many similarities between these two stories! I wonder if the author of Sleeping Giants was a fan of The Iron Giant?

Sleeping GiantsEmsieDearest (4)
Thoughts on Writing Style

Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone else get distracted by Neuvel's allusive writing style? Don't get me wrong, the story is very compelling (I haven't finished the book yet, bear with me), but there are times when the details seem too suggestive, like he's almost breaking the fourth wall. For example on page 126 where Dr. Pavel Haas is being interviewed prior to Mr. Couture's surgery, "You will enjoy unlimited funding, and you may use any and all of the resources at the United States Army..." He goes on to talk about the "colossal amount of resources at his disposal." A doctor is being forced to perform high-risk surgery on an agent assigned to a top-secret case with an outcome that cannot go wrong. Would top ranking officials need to clarify that to each other or would it be inferred? If it's the latter, is there another way to say it without awkwardly interrupting the course of the narrative? Please share your thoughts.

Meran (40)
I didn't have any problem like that at all! Personally, I often tell stories of my past to help illustrate the topic of conversation from my or different POV.
jmcgarry2011 (2)
I wrote my novel, Operation Mermaid: The Project Kraken Incident, in the style of a government report, much like this novel. In fact, I was glad to get this novel, because it justified the use of that style. (That was one thing my beta readers mentioned.) Some of the expository dialogue in this novel reminded me of some movies or TV shows, where they have to try to get it in, but don't want to use narration. (Now, tell us, Professor, what is this about?) I tried to avoid that in my novel. I do tell the story primarily through dialogue, but I do use narration when I think it's appropriate. I think of the movie Forrest Gump, where Forrest will narrate certain parts of the movie, and news reports will fill in some of the other areas.
Bandersquatch (1)
I haven't finished it either, and writing style is probably a big chunk of why. I think of things like your example as "writerly exposition." Pretty prose jammed into a character's mouth for the sake of information. Dr. Rose talking about her childhood home in the first chapter is an especially egregious example. There must be scientists out there who speak like she does, but they're rare enough that it sounds more like an omniscient narrator possessing her than her own words. It's possible, taking points from other posts, that the interview structure keeps the reader at a distance as a means of authorial defense. If dialogue is not the authors strongest skill, then by framing the dialogue in a formal tone, we might more easily forgive uncharacteristic speech, allowing the so far excellent plot to hoist our disbelief instead.
Sleeping GiantsJSchiedelAnderson (3)
Can Someone Clarify?

How did Alyssa manage to get Ryan Mitchell out of prison of when the United States Army wasn't involved in the project and the United States' government supposedly didn't know that the robot had been recovered? Maybe they explained it, and I missed it?

Meran (40)
I'm still reading (and loving this story). I'll try to be mindful of your question, look for your answer. I didn't find a clear answer but I fully believe that she just outranked (or had the full backing of someone who did) everyone and had the Special Compensation Permission from those controlling the project funding. After all, she's been doing some heavy genetic testing and doesn't believe she even needs the two "chosen" pilots. I imagine more of these questions will be answered, or explained, in the next book. (Which I can't wait for)
Sleeping Giantssplanz102 (7)
What other secrets does the Robot have?

What do you think will be revealed about the robot in future books? Additional powers? Origin? A visit from the creators?

damroberts744 (12)
I definitely think we will delve deeper into the origins and purpose. I also think that its inevitable that either the characters visit the creators or the other way around.
JN1975 (8)
Given the tone of the novel, I think a visit from the creators is inevitable. Maybe in a third book though. I feel like bringing in the creators in the next book would be rushing things.
Katherine (3)
I don't think so. I assumed the creators are long gone. I think the point is that HUmanity will need to solve this alone, coming of age story for the species. Maybe, though, robots that were left on OTHER planets will come to cause havoc.
Brittlemae (1)
Is there going to be another book?
Meran (40)
The second will be published April 3, 2017. The third is already in progress. They're keeping the covers as a matching set. (Aren't the covers great?!?)
JN1975 (8)
According to Goodreads, book two is going to be published next year.
arlenerdgz (22)
Is the format going to be the same? Interviews/journal entries? I really want to read the next book, but at the same time, im afraid the format will get old and hurt the development of the story.
Meran (40)
No idea. I haven't seen an excerpt. But it's interesting that the Questioner is not identified in book 1. I'm guessing the format will be the same, mainly for that reason.
JN1975 (8)
I guess we'll find out soon.
Meran (40)
I'm so surprised I've not seen THIS question asked yet... Remember HIW they found and pulled up all the pieces? Then WHAT HAPPENED to bring up that very first piece? ???? Was it the atom bomb? ALL the atomic testing? Discuss that one!
Sleeping Giantsarlenerdgz (22)
Experimental Surgery

Did anyone else think that experimental leg reconstruction surgery was very "Nazi Germany"-gruesome? I found it very disturbing.

Olifant831 (17)
I found it extremely disturbing, especially the way it was described he had to push on them to move them backwards!
Katherine (3)
Yah, but I think that's the point - a great sacrifice for greater understanding/power
Meran (40)
There was another movie trailer at ComicCon that had the same legs! I'd thought we were going to see the movie trailer when I saw that ???? and no, it wasn't it, nor do I remember the movie now. But I remember those legs ....
npshafer (5)
I knew they were going to do something to him as soon as the accident happened, but I expected prosthetics to fit the robot. Wouldn't that have worked better?
Meran (40)
They didn't even know what the entire makeup of the metal was. And any modifications could throw out the foreign engineering. I don't see that as a viable option, ever.
arlenerdgz (22)
Prosthetics was the obvious, something more sci-fi was called for. ????
JN1975 (8)
Rotating prosthetics wasn't sci-fi enough?
arlenerdgz (22)
I meant regular prosthetics was obvious. So I was expecting it to be what it was. What was surprising is that it was "experimental" and the patient was basically forced, although he seemed to like it.
JN1975 (8)
I'm impressed that the interviewer was kind enough to ask for rotating knees. I was expecting Vince to be stuck with legs that only worked in the robot.
arlenerdgz (22)
So he might be a good guy after all
JN1975 (8)
Good guy might require some loose interpretation.
arlenerdgz (22)
Haha I don't know why that sounded funny. But you're right.
Olifant831 (17)
I thought prosthetic too! I figured that would be so much easier!
jmcgarry2011 (2)
I thought it was more like Steve Austin in the Six Million Dollar Man, when they put bionic legs on him.
Meran (40)
There was going to have to be some body modification to work the machinery.... I wondered how the author would come up with ~that. He took the decision away from the character in an excellent manner, not even knowing he was feeding right into the Questioner's agenga.
Sleeping GiantsLiberty Hardy (82)
Discuss With Us

Who was your favorite character on the team of investigators? They all seemed to have a lot of issues!

smweimer (1)
I'm a BSG fan and Kara in the book had a definite Kara Thrace feel to her. So I think i enjoyed that character the best so i could compare and contrast the two Kara's.
Katherine (3)
I thought that too - I even had her face in my mind reading it, which is fine, I loved that character.
Amber (1)
The unnamed interviewer was the most interesting character to me. Kara wasn't that likable at times and it made it hard for me to connect with her but I do like Rose and wish I knew more about her
bjohns86 (4)
I didn't have one! I felt like I wanted to know more about Rose but didn't get to delve into her character enough. The others all lacked in charm in various ways. Interested to see how this goes in the next book.
meinnotyours (1)
I completely agree! I LOVED Rose and could have read an entire book just about her. I felt the others were slightly robotic....but that could have just been the format.
Meran (40)
I think one of the reasons to use this format (interviews) was to keep us at a distance, purposely. The occasional personal logs show us deeper into the characters, but there aren't enough, in ?Book 1 anyway. That could change ??
bjohns86 (4)
I hope so. I would like to know more about Rose especially considering how the book ended. I found myself disliking pretty much everyone in the book with the exception of the shady overhead figure. He is pretty intriguing to me.
arlenerdgz (22)
I'm with you on this. All characters were too weird for me. Even their names were too...normal and flat (Kara, Rose, Robert, Ryan). I liked the unnamed interrogator best. Had more depth.
ciaocarabella52 (2)
Rose! I finished still wanting to know more about her, especially her history with the hand.
MelindaM (4)
I would have liked to have known more about Rose, as well. The time between when Rose fell onto the hand and the time we really meet her in the story is very glossed over. I think the back stories of all the major characters would be fascinating. Maybe we'll learn more in the upcoming books in the series.
npshafer (5)
Not on the team of investigators, but I am very curious about the man behind the scenes. His relationship to the investigators grew and developed into an almost affectionate one by the end of the book. Thank goodness there is a sequel!
Olifant831 (17)
Rose was my favorite! She loved everyone so much!
Discuss With Us

Do you think the unnamed interrogator is going to turn out to be a good guy or a bad guy? Any other theories about who this person is?

damroberts744 (12)
There was a lot of talk about being good or bad in this...I think he is either a good guy with bad intentions or a bad one with bad intentions. I wouldn't be surprised if he weren't human.
Olifant831 (17)
I think he is a good guy. He seems to really care for the team and wants to help for the greater good.
Meran (40)
Many crimes have been committed in the name of "the Common Good", sadly...
arlenerdgz (22)
Of all the characters, I think he's the one that was best developed. I can see good and bad in him. He's very human. His decisions move from strictly business to taking care of his team. I can't decide yet if he really is interested in the greater good, or if he's just curious to hold this great power.
Meran (40)
Maybe the book is as much about him and his motives as about the Giants themselves. Maybe he's a collaborator ???? Maybe he's from the X-Files Dept. lol
bjohns86 (4)
I'm not going to lie...he was the most interesting character in the book for me. I found myself more interested in what he was going to do next and if he would have any type of reaction especially with the introduction of the one character that seemed to know more about everything than he did. Calculated and I definitely enjoyed his biting temperament.
Meran (40)
I'm definitely with you, on every comment, BJOHNS86!
AlexandraFish (1)
At the beginning, I thought that he would end up being one of the "others". One of the aliens disguised to lead them to the right answers... or right into the alien's hand (ha).
Meran (40)
Except he's said that he has nothing to do with any if it ???? Unreliable Questioner, for sure. SPOILER There WAS a person introduced who probably IS a descendant. Though, knowing a bit about genetics, that troublesome knee joint should show up occasionally in the subsequent generations....
Liberty Hardy (82)
OOOOO that's a theory I hadn't heard yet. That would be very tricky!
Liberty Hardy (82)
OOOOO I JUST HAD AN IDEA ABOUT WHO IT COULD BE.
arlenerdgz (22)
What's that idea?
Crissy333 (2)
Ahhh! I am so curious about this guy! I was left with so many questions about where he's from, who he works with, and what his intentions were. I was even trying to picture him and what he looks like. I may or may not have read his parts with an accent. lol Anyhow, I'm certain he has his own agenda. I just need to get my hands on the next book a.s.a.p!
ciaocarabella52 (2)
I think he has good intentions but I have no idea who he works for...
arlenerdgz (22)
Maybe he works for himself. All that power he seems to have is because he blackmails.
Liberty Hardy (82)
I think that's very likely! But where did he get all his power???? I can't wait to find out.
Discuss With Us

I have to ask: Do you believe in aliens? Do you think they they have ever visited Earth?

JN1975 (8)
Yes to both. Look at the statues on Easter Island. The technology to build them may have existed, but to that scale?
Meran (40)
I believe the Easter Island mystery has been explained. Yet, I too, believe. Though so, so long ago. And they left. They're somewhere else, paying attention to a new and rising intelligent species. They're The Ancients, in my mind. Really, who can know for sure?
MelindaM (4)
Yes, the universe is vast. I can't imagine that there is not sentient life out there somewhere. Now, whether they have visited Earth? It's certainly possible. Does this book remind anyone of the Jody Foster movie "Contact" (based on the Carl Sagan book) from the late 1990s? It's not exactly the same storyline but they are both about extraterrestrial life.
Olifant831 (17)
yes!
arlenerdgz (22)
There has to be with the universe being as immense as it is. Anything is possible. There are so many unexplained things on earth that it may very well be extraterrestrial but we cannot understand it or prove it, yet.
Olifant831 (17)
I agree! The universe is to big not to have other species out there.
Discuss With Us - SPOILER ALERT!

Did you expect Rose to make another appearance after she was dead?

Luvroffootball (1)
I didn't see that coming at all. So since she is still alive, where is everyone else, and where did they go for four years? I am so curious. I can't wait for the next one.
naimerica (1)
Same! I was so shocked by everything that happened and had so many questions.
damroberts744 (12)
I can't say that I KNEW she was coming back, but I did have a sneaking suspicion that there may be an alternate reality or something of the sort at play when they addressed the plane just disappearing.
Liberty Hardy (82)
Y'all are more positive than me - I thought it was curtains for Rose. :D
JN1975 (8)
But it's a clone! It's not the real Rose.
ket (1)
Alternate theory, she got transported to the aliens (homebase/planet what have you), they healed her surgical scars (like Kara's eye) which made her seem younger, and then wiped her memory before sending her back. This theory probably only holds if the sub people don't come back. Maybe the aliens realized Rose's connection to the robot and that's why she is sent back?
Meran (40)
After finishing the book and ruminating a bit, I do think she's a clone. After all, there's a rude geneticist involved. Now, HOW they got her memories, that's some real alien tech, isn't it? ???? It looks as if the "update" was some time ago, only a few years... But it means her "once in a generation mind" is still available. And I found no evidence, not even a hint, of time travel. Where'd that idea come from?
Meran (40)
Huh. I didn't think of this possibility. Thanks!
npshafer (5)
I did, too. Even though it was pretty abrupt. And this leaves the question of the Russian submarine. Did it travel through time too?
arlenerdgz (22)
I think so. The dissapering makes sense if they are traveling through time.
Meran (40)
That would give us an "out" on all the deaths. Maybe too nice?
splanz102 (7)
I got to that point in the book and literally yelled "SHUT UP!" Immediately had to look up the release date for the next one. She has no idea what has happened, is younger, it was crazy!
starlawill (2)
I definitely didn't think she was dead. But showing up younger? THAT I did not see coming! That was fun!
arlenerdgz (22)
Time traveling ? That's why these aliens were able to leave behind such developed technology.
bjohns86 (4)
YES! I don't think she was dead. She has no recollection of the last 4 years. Everyone has aged but she hasn't so where has she been...
jshumaker (1)
I thought she was dead. But I'm happy she's back :). I want to hear more about why she's 4 years younger now though!! Can't wait!!
Liberty Hardy (82)
RIGHT???? I am terribly impatient, but I will just have to deal. :D
Olifant831 (17)
Definitely thought she was gone but so so glad she is back. I love the twist about her being younger. I wonder what that means for the other that "died" in the blast and the other submarine?
megacat (8)
I didn't expect it at all, but after it happened I felt like I should have seen it coming. She was obviously an important figure, especially since she was first to encounter the hand in the very beginning. I think her character was too attached to the robot itself to just be gone for good. I'm definitely excited to see where her story in particular goes in the next book.
Sleeping GiantsKtorgie (1)
Excited to explore more

I've never read a book set up quite like this one. It's like reading a scientific journal, or case files about an investigation. I'm excited to dive in deeper.

megacat (8)
I really enjoyed the format as well. It's a refreshing change from a typical read and I can see why it was compared to Andy Weir's The Martian. The only problem I had was the lack of character development. I think since the book was made up entirely of case files, interviews, etc, it was tough to really get into their heads. I found myself pretty indifferent towards all the characters, which was pretty disappointing. I'm definitely interested to read the next one and see if the author can make me more invested in the characters as the story continues.
Meran (40)
Again, like I said in a previous post, this kind of writing intentionally puts a distance between the readers and characters. It's hard to be sympathetic thru a question and answer session. No one has mentioned the missing files. Did anyone wonder what was in those? THAT'S what I'd like to see!
Meran (40)
I just read the author interview where he addresses this technique. It was so _the reader_ could make his/her own story up around the characters. So, you see, we each have a different version of the book in our heads, by intention. Tricksy author!
starlawill (2)
I found that to be an issue too. I wanted to care more for the characters than I did. I still enjoyed it and plowed right through it. I just wanted more background. More insight. More depth.
Abmccarron1 (1)
At first it was kind of irritating, but then I found that it helped me keep track of who was talking and what was going on. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I cannot wait for the sequel!
arlenerdgz (22)
Annoyed too. But the more I read, the more I see how it's meaningful, and it adds to the story line. Seems like I'm reading an X-File.
Olifant831 (17)
I agree it was so much more meaningful to the story to have it written this way. if we saw it from each perspective not in an interview it would be long and drawn out and we wouldn't get to know as much. This way added a lot to the depth of the novel for me.
arlenerdgz (22)
I couldn't put this book down. So I'm done and I NEED to read the next book in the series.
Meran (40)
So, in cases of a series, will the other two be offered here? (Please please) I like my book sets to match! And love these covers.
Liberty Hardy (82)
Right there with you!
MelindaM (4)
I almost never read a book like Sleeping Giants but am so glad I gave this one a try. A big thank you to Anne Bogel at What Should I Read Next for mentioning this book on her blog. Otherwise I would have never picked it up. I absolutely loved it and can't wait for the next one. I enjoyed the interview format more than I thought I would.
Jessrumely (6)
This reminded me a lot of the book "Illuminae" by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman that came out last year. It is told similarly through case files, e-mails, text messaging, video transcripts, and more and like with this one, I felt I was still able to create an emotional attachment to the characters and their stories as well.
Weatherman103 (1)
I really enjoyed this book. I'm also looking forward to reading the next one in the series I think I might actual pre order it. What I really want to know is more about the guy who is interviewing everybody.
Ltuntkee (13)
I loved Kara. I can't wait to see how she develops in the next book.