Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
The Silent Patient
The Silent Patient (1)
This Book!

Just started this January pick (I'm clearly very behind)! I can't put it down! I'm in the middle of it, right when he gives her the paint set at The Grove. It's such a quick read and so gripping! I'm secretly reading it at work... Shhh.. :)

Stacilyn (5)
I am just starting this one (The Silent Patient) after finishing my March selection in less than 2 days. So glad I bought a second book. I am glad to read your review...thanks!
The Silent PatientJazmin (1)
AMAZING!!!

I was hooked as soon as I started reading it. It was a real page turner and it did not disappoint one bit. A couple of friends read it with me as part of a book club we started and not one of them had anything negative to say about it. Definitely worth adding it to your next box.

The Silent PatientJayGuebert (5)
I'm still speechless

This book was soooooo good! The plot twist was so unexpected I went back and read that part 3 times! Mind blown!!!!!

The Silent Patientrstill (1)
What a great book!!

I couldn’t put this book down once I started reading it. I would have never guessed this was the first book for this author. A real “page turner” right until the very end!! I joined a book club and this was my first book. I borrowed a copy from another book club member but would not have been disappointed if I had purchased it. I have now placed my first order for TWO books from February’s selections. I can’t wait to receive my books and look forward to the upcoming months.

The Silent Patienttdove12 (1)
A Page Turner

I was hooked from the very first page! This was my first book from the BOTM and it didn't't disappoint. I finished the book in 3 days. I'm actually curious to learn more about Yuri! Can't wait for my next book!

The Silent PatientDarienneB (1)
Holy plot twist, Batman!

So I am a PROFESSIONAL plot-twist-guesser and I didn’t even see this coming.

Angie (1)
What does it mean that you're a professional plot-twist-guesser? Asking because whatever your job is, I would really like it, please! I LOVE twists of all kinds!
booknerd (12)
BEST plot twist ever. I had to put it down for a minute and take it in. Although I think the end would have been better if he actually became head psy. at the new facility.
jreinke941 (1)
I have to agree, I did not see this coming either. I literally put the book down for a minute to actually think about what just happened. I love it when a book can surprise me like that.
CarissaLeek (9)
Same here. I just finished the book and I am shook. I was wondering why he was so adamant to believe her story about being watched by a man and now it all makes sense.
The Silent PatientSusanMills (1)
Wow

This was my first BOTM book and I was hooked from the first pages. The ending plot twist had me. I still can’t understand why he put his self in close contact with her knowing she would recognize him. I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to pick my next book.

The Silent PatientBmartin6645 (2)
SPOILERS INCLUDED BUT I AM SHOOK

This is the first book I read from BOTM and I am shook! The post twist at the end was so unexpected. the line "That was the day I meant Alicia Benson" I legit sat there for like 5 mins putting the story in order and being shook. My mind was racing like why did he face her knowing what he drove her to kill her husband? why didn't it click in his head that she recognized him when she tried to kill him? (Legit like that bitch was not playing) How can he act like he did nothing wrong when he committed the WORST crime. OMG 2nd/3rd BEST BOOK I EVER READ granted the diary being wedged in the painting was a cheap shot.

jabberina (1)
I literally just sat there for what seemed like forever when I read that line too... like whaaaa! Mind. Blown.
cmcneive (1)
OMG please help me understand the ending. LOL was his wife having an affair with her husband. This is all so twisted, i'm having a hard time following.
mandymontgom (10)
Yes, his wife was having an affair with her husband and he pointed it out to Alicia and made Gabriel choose who lives or dies in theory, to try and show Alicia that Gabriel was selfish, and he proved him right by choosing himself, pushing Alicia to the absolute max, therefore killing Gabriel for his betrayal. Not the betrayal of the affair, but of not putting her first...just like her dad when he wanted Alicia to die instead of her mother.
The Silent PatientJa292ss (2)
SPOILER! Question about plot

Why did Theo even bring the needle mark on Alicia to anyone’s attention?

bethanyq (7)
It felt to me like a case of the murderer thinks he's so clever he needs to prove it by showing as much as possible of the crime. Love how the inspector shows up at the end and that Alicia's words do make a real impact, though perhaps too late for her own life.
Ketzra (22)
I felt he had multiple personalities and didn’t even realize that he did it himself.
jen310 (1)
Good point! Maybe the shock of the betrayal was so great that he dissociated.
Bmartin6645 (2)
Because He realized Alicia recognized him and wanted to blame Christian for her murder. so Theo wanted it to seem like Christian tried to murder Alicia to cover up how Christian was her doctor prior to the grove on the down-low and got paid under the table, when really Theo tried to murder Alicia so she would not tell anyone that Theo was the one who drove her to murder Gabriel.
Ja292ss (2)
Yea I get why Theo did it but everyone thought it was an OD until he said something. Maybe he knew he would take heat for her “suicide” so decided to pin it as a murder.
The Silent Patientmandymontgom (10)
SPOILERS HERE!!!

I thought this was an incredible and thought provoking read. I did wonder though, was Kathy tortured by the death of Gabriel or was she tortured by knowing Theo was complicit in her lovers death. Thoughts? Why did Kathy become the silent shell that Alicia left behind?

Pierre1812 (34)
I think Kathy was tortured by the death of Gabriel, her unhappy marriage to Theo that’s now smoking weed, something she probably thought they were both against... both those things, plus I believe it’s mentioned that she wasn’t getting as many acting gigs... moving away from London probably didn’t help... I think in the end she was just depressed? Or Theo might have done something as well, he did something crazy to warn Alicia, who knows what he could have done to his own wife... Also, Kathy isn’t actually aware that Theo was involved in Gabriel’s death. She will probably learn about it when she’s done with her bath and realizes that Theo doesn’t have dinner ready, but is going to jail instead...
mandymontgom (10)
Okay, so I asked the author via Instagram and his response to my question was as follows: "Glad you enjoyed it. I think Kathy was more tortured by the death of Gabriel. I don't think she knows about Theo's involvement until the end of the book." I, myself felt that she was tortured because of the knowledge that her illicit affair got her lover killed. I felt that she was coming to the realization that her affair is what caused Alicia to off Gabriel and it was too much to bare that it plunged her into being Theo's newest silent patient...his own lover, his world, his spouse.
Pierre1812 (34)
Ok, honestly, if the twist had been that Alicia had been Kathy all along, that would be been so much trippier, and if done right, it would have been amazing! But yeah, Kathy doesn’t know about Theo’s involvement, I kinda wish we had gotten an epilogue from Kathy’s POV processing the whole ordeal. It would have wrapped everything up perfectly! Don’t get me wrong though, I still really really enjoyed the book!
bethanyq (7)
If Alicia had been Kathy, we would have been reading "Behind Her Eyes," which was so frustrating at the end... I think Kathy just feels trapped and Theo, well, what a layered character! The creep.
The Silent PatientAHutchinson (1)
Great BOTM choice

I thoroughly enjoyed my choice of The Silent Patient as my January book. I was hooked from the beginning pages of the book.

I knew there was a plot twist coming about a third of the way through the book but I hadn't quite figured out all of the details by the time it was revealed.

My one big complaint after finishing the book is Theo as a character. I started out the book enjoying his character. He appeared to be an ambitious psychotherapist who had dabbled with depression and mental illness earlier in life and now aimed to help others like him. However my opinion of him changed quickly. Now that I am done with the book, I find myself annoyed with him. To avoid any major spoilers, when he found out about Kathy why not just approach her as I believe any "normal" person would do? I found his approach to the discovery very manic. I guess that is what makes this story a good one!

All in all, I couldn't put the book down and finished it in a day. I will definitely be recommending it to others.

Eringogreen (1)
I agree about Theo. He is up front at the very beginning about him being damaged, but it’s difficult to understand his motivations in his approach to Alicia. You would think her silence would be a blessing in his situation, but he chooses to insert himself into the situation to further aggravate it and, in the end, incriminate himself. I’m sure you could do a psychological analysis on all of that.
iampaulaw (2)
Yeah, I think that was the point. When Theo didn't react like a normal person, that's when I knew he wasn't normal. It made me start questioning everything.
mandymontgom (10)
I think that is precisely the point. I think that Theo is manic himself. I think his impulsivity took over his actions. All of his actions from his interactions with Alicia to his interactions with Kathy. I also think that is what made his obsessively investigate Alicia's story.
Hana (22)
I agree on Theo's character - I read it as both of them were so damaged from childhood that they didn't know how to cope. For example, SPOILERS the whole "he killed me thing" and Theo's inability to just say something to Kathy or even just say something to Alicia showed a real lack of emotional maturity. I think it was suppose to be two damaged people who created havoc in their lives.
The Silent Patientahaut550 (1)
Just finished!

I'm still in shock with how fast of a read this was. I also am shocked by the twist in the middle and I agree with some other posters that the timelines were awkward. But other than that I couldn't put it down. I will definitely be recommending this book to others!

Ketzra (22)
Also thought it was such a great book! Funny however, I enjoyed the dynamics of the characters’ stories which ran simultaneously while separately.
The Silent Patientashley (3)
Just one thing bothering me...

Ok, I really liked this book. I was entranced the entire time. A little over halfway through, I did begin to have my suspicions about the timing of the two story-lines and was able to piece that information together, so the big reveal was not as much of a shock to me as other readers. However, I have one lingering thought that is bothering me...why did Alicia stick a paintbrush in the other patients eye? I know she was “provoked,” but I feel like this doesn’t fit into the narrative, especially after the reveal. Maybe I’m missing something. Did anyone pick up on anything regarding this?

BrandiMulvena (2)
I don't think she liked being associated romantically with Theo considering their circumstance. Besides, she's had a history of mental instability & was deemed borderline, so her rash actions towards Elif after being provoked seems plausible.
mandymontgom (10)
I think Alicia was so devastated by what happened to her and her only way of getting out the truth was through that painting. I think Alicia knew that she was facing an impending doom and wanted her painting to speak even after she is gone. I think it enraged her that her story was not going to be uncovered because of Elif.
The Silent PatientKetzra (22)
Update to prior posts...

My book finally arrived! I’m all smiles and can’t wait to read it. Xoxoxox

The Silent Patientatm2449 (1)
Hello 2019

Great start to the year. I have some small gripes with the reveal as well as aspects of Theo's character but damn if this isn't one incredibly entertaining book. Hooked from page 1.

The Silent PatientHG (13)
I need a break from thrillers..

This book would have been awesome for me.. except I just read "No Exit" and "Nine Perfect Strangers" so I was expecting a plot twist. The book kept me intrigued and I read it within one day. I loved everything about the setting and the characters emotional tragedies.. but because the way the narration was written I felt like the plot twist could have been explained better. Overall it was a really good book, I think I just need a break from thrillers and books with psycho main characters. I would recommend this to a friend though!

SamanthaSmith (2)
I agree!!! No Exit was flipping AmAzInGggg!!!! And this book was really a let down and a slow read in comparison. Not my fave...
Bookless Waiting with bells

Anyone else still waiting for their book to arrive? Tracker has mine at the same place for five days now. Should I reach out to someone or am I just too excited for the book to arrive? Lol

hiphipherzog (2)
I had the same issue with shipping! I think USPS had something going on with their tracking. Mine did finally arrive, but it did take sometime.
Ketzra (22)
I’m not sure what happened to it, but it seems to be lost. I reached out to customer support and they have been so helpful. With luck I’ll have my book next week. :)
Pierre1812 (34)
I usually get an email confirmation when they ship my box. It’s usually been pretty fast, last month it did take longer than usual, the tracking website didn’t update for over 9 days and I emailed them. They sent out a new box, then the first box arrived after 12 days... I’m not sure there’s much they can do though, it comes down to USPS really... This month the website didn’t update tracking until the box was out for delivery so I got it the next day... Hope you get your books soon!!
Ketzra (22)
Thank you! Here’s hoping I’m surprised to see it in the mail box today and that they just stopped bothering to scan it in...guess I should wait until the end of the week to see. I’ll email them if it still hasn’t arrived by then. :)
leahlou (1)
This is my first month doing botm. I haven’t received my books or even an email confirming, is that normal? I pick out out my books on 30th. What’s going on?
Ketzra (22)
What happens when you click on the link provided to you through book of the months website for the January “shopping cart” page?
The Silent PatientAnge (6)
Zero complaints

I really have nothing bad to say about this book. I haven't been a fiction reader for long and have really only been into nonfiction. I have only been a member since December. However, I couldn't put this book down and finished it in two days. I was really shocked with the twist at the end and it was far off from what my personal theory was. I thought it was really great! I really can't find a reason to not give it 5/5.

The Silent Patientsoundslikeliar (19)
Pretty Good Except...

I found this to be a fast, entertaining read. The flow is great and I sped through it. However I had one big issue (spoilers ahead): the twist. I didn't expect it, which was good. But the reason I didn't expect it is because we're inside Theo's head the whole time. There's a pretty standard rule of first person narration where you can't keep secrets from your reader when you're inside a character's head; it doesn't make sense. Obviously he'd be thinking "oh yeah I'm here cus I'm her stalker". By simply changing the narration to third, this issue could have been avoided & I'd have liked it more

Kreut (1)
I am in the same boat.....did you decide which one to get?
algohr (3)
When I finished the book I thought the exact same thing and then afterwards I thought to myself: maybe that's one of the great twists. *Spoilers* He lies to myself about his childhood, and Ruth tries to help him see that, he lies about everything being ok in his marriage. And as humans, we all lie to ourselves to hid ourselves from the truth sometimes. So I have accepted the fact that he was lying to himself about his intentions.
Amanda (18)
I don't know, I kind of like the fact that the narrator lied to me. Maybe that's screwed up but it's so different than most book and I dont think it's in bad taste or poor writing. If anything it makes the book that more memorable to be.
Pierre1812 (34)
Yeah, I really enjoyed the book, but I have mixed feelings about the twist... It reminded me of The Lies We Told, in the sense that it was going back and forth in time, but Lies has the year over every chapter, The Silent Patient intentionally did not... I did think at some point that the couples would have a connection somehow, but it never occurred to me that they were different times... I thought it was weird when Kathy didn’t mention the scratches that Alicia caused on Theo... the whole thing actually works, I don’t think that Theo lied, more like omissions though...
HG (13)
Because of the narration perspectives, it confused me because I was thinking of the story happening in current day.. So then when the plot-twist happened my dates of events happening was all screwed up..
The Silent PatientLauraM (16)
Disappointed :(

I wanted to love this based on all the rave reviews and buzz about this book, but it just... fell flat for me. This was my first BOTM pick that I didn't at least somewhat enjoy. Did anyone else have the same experience? Am I somehow missing the brilliance of this book?

michelemrogacki (6)
Yes, it was not as good as everyone led me to believe it would be. I purchased in March as an add on book, so read it after my March selection. I could tell it was the authors first novel. I hated the ending. It just dropped off to nowhere.
AZlah (8)
I did not enjoy this book either. For me it was slow paced and I felt like I was in a game of CLUE -- the author presenting different suspects and motives but they were all too obvious. I ended up reading it just to see how it turned out but did not love this book. I also kept wondering why it received such rave reviews. I was disappointed.
SamanthaSmith (2)
Totally agree!
LauraM (16)
I had built up some (IMO) much more exciting twists based on some of the suspects/motives presented. I'd actually guessed the real twist early on but discarded it for something more exciting, so when it got to the Big Twist it was kind of a sense of "Oh, was that all?"
isodiful (1)
I didn't enjoy it either. I thought the author tried too hard to make Theo something out of a cliche, and I didn't find his practices to be normal in the slightest, despite the twist. The whole book for me felt like it was written around one scene. I was really put off by the story in general. The only thing I had somewhat of a liking for was how the twist was executed. I initially thought the short chapters about his life were going to end up being a poorly written subplot — I thought the events were happening concurrently with one another. Similar to the other commenter, I, too, ended up hate-reading to see what happened.
LauraM (16)
I didn't think Theo was very fleshed out either but the secondary characters were even worse - none of them stuck with me at all and half didn't seem to add anything to the story.
Addy (1)
I feel the same way. It was my first BOTM, and I'm disappointed in how it all ended. I really liked the writing and all the Greek metaphors, but there are just a few holes that really don't come together at the end. It just felt like a cheap shot than a thrilling punch which is what I was looking for. Thrillers, in general, may not be my thing though. I'm still reading and finding out where my reading tastes will take me.
LauraM (16)
I'm not a huge thriller person but I read enough that I can guess plot twists and this one just fell flat :(
LauraHartmann (1)
Totally fell flat for me as well. The writing, the continued allusions to Greek mythology and plot, the twist that was annoying and not like "WHOA, COOL." This is the first book that I actually ended up hate-reading just to find out what happens.
LauraM (16)
That's how I was too! I wanted to find out what happened but wasn't really enjoying the read at all after the twist.
TammySroka (2)
I completely disagree. It ended awfully quick. But this book was very well written in my opinion. I couldn't wait to come home and read this book. In fact when I traveled for work I read this on the plane any chance I had I read. This is one of the better books I have read from BOTM.
(2)
Same! I thought it was okay, but not a hard hitter for me.
The Silent PatientMellissaHodgson (9)
I Can't choose!

Between the Silent Patient or the The Night Tiger. I still haven't chosen a book and I only have until tomorrow ro choose! Help!!

smshawyer (2)
Silent patient kept me up all night. Thrilling, fast-paced read. I definitely enjoyed it.
Pierre1812 (34)
Just noticed that both The Silent Patient as well as The Night Tiger have the same font. That doesn’t help you decide, but I thought it was interesting!
TKKKKB (31)
Funny, those are two I ordered - I got both! But my wife and I share so....
Ange (6)
I have about 60 pages left in The Silent Patient and the ONLY reason I am not reading it right now is because I'm at work. It is really good, the book flows great and keeps you wanting to get to the end and get to the bottom of everything! so for for me a 4.5/5
Pierre1812 (34)
I’m 100 pages into The Silent Patient and I’m loving it. I do regret not getting The Night Tiger as an add-on, but there’s always next month!
The Silent Patientelizabeth (13)
I can't decide!

I'm torn between Golden State and The Silent Patient! The Golden state seems really unique and exciting but I love a good thriller! Opinions?

Dashley (1)
I chose both! Honestly, they both were amazing to me! I am finishing the Golden State one now!
(2)
I picked Maid, started yesterday and almost finished. I love it I’m not disappointed :)
tamtam69 (1)
I just ordered both of them because I couldn't decide!
MelAlex123 (5)
I was torn as well! I decided to go with Golden Child. I love thrillers and the majority of the books I have gotten from BOTM are thrillers, to the point where they all start to blend together... So I figured a change of pace would be refreshing.
tomtom1130 (2)
I chose The Silent Patient because it went with the theme I am on right now. I am working on The Anonymous Girl
hiphipherzog (2)
I was also torn between those two! I ended up opting for The Golden State because although I love a good thriller, they are often a gamble for me. I'm hooked the whole way through and then am let down by the ending often. I can't wait to hear how everyone likes it and am excited to read The Golden State in the meantime.
Lexi (1)
I was so impressed with all the selections this month! I would have gladly read all of them. I ultimately decided to get the Silent Patient, Maid (I love a good memoir) & Golden Twins. This is going to be a great start to 2019!
Pierre1812 (34)
Why not both?! :-) I regret not seeing “Watching You” in the add-on section before ordering my box as it appears to be sold out now.
So exciting!

The January book selection is released and I’m having fun debating with myself which one I should pick. The Silent Patient is a definite contender for me, but I keep wondering about The Night Tiger, too. Which one is your pick?

SarahBarfield (1)
I JUST picked The Silent Patient. But I'll say I almost picked The Night Tiger JUST for that beautiful cover art! I'm so pumped. I also added No Exit and Eleanor Oliphant as my add ons. So. Stinking. Pumped.
booknerd (12)
Eleanor is my top pick from last year. Loved it!
Arlene (1)
I picked The Night Tiger because it has a little bit of everything I like, mystery, suspense, history and an unusual setting.
KristineCoumbe (27)
I already have The Silent Patient and it's good so far so I picked Maid and also Night Tiger as an add on.
Ketzra (22)
Wow! How do you have it so quickly? Are you part of the reader committee?
KristineCoumbe (27)
No. I received an ARC from the publisher a few weeks ago. I entered to win a free copy on Facebook.
Ketzra (22)
What does arc mean?
ki11erpancake (7)
Advance Reader Copy. Publishers send them out to libraries, influencers, reviewers etc. for review purposes.
Ketzra (22)
What does arc mean?
JamieJohnson (1)
I chose the Night Tiger and Extraordinary Beasts as my add on. Looking forward to getting those soon!!!
ki11erpancake (7)
I did the same two! Also excited :)
(1)
I received a gift membership for Christmas from my daughter. This was an easy pick for me. I enjoy books set in foreign cultures so... Night Tiger, of course.
MarcelaMartinez (1)
I do too! I just love the way stories are wrote.
EmilyThrasher (1)
I picked The Silent Patient, and ALMOST picked The Night Tiger as an add-on. I have enough TBR books on my shelf right now, so I decided not to.
NicoleTeberg (1)
I chose the Silent Patient! It's an exclusive and I'm all about the Thrillers
AlexGraham (4)
I picked The Silent Patient and then I chose Golden Child and Severance for add ons.
(1)
I chose The Silent Patient
KristineCoumbe (27)
No. I received an ARC from the publisher a few weeks ago. I entered to win a free copy on Facebook.
Pierre1812 (34)
I went with The Silent Patient, I’m so glad they released the selection a couple of days earlier! Did anyone else notice Lisa Jewell’s “Watching You” under recent additions in the add-ons though?! I don’t remember that being a book of the month previously...
KristineCoumbe (27)
Lisa Jewell had a book for April and it sold out fast. I am sorry I missed it. Also her book was one of the finalists for book of the year.
Hana (22)
Sometimes they’ll have bigger new releases as add-ons. They did it with a Nicholas Sparks one a few months ago b
Ketzra (22)
That is good to know! I will look in both spots from now on. :)
Hana (22)
No b - that was a typo!
JanneG (1)
Omg I’m torn between those two titles as well- I already have add on from month before too... I only just signed up if I choose 1 of them can I add the other at a later date?
faith (3)
You can choose any of the books as an add on at any date as long as it doesn't sell out first!
Becky (34)
I got the Night Tiger! :) It's hard to please me with suspense/thrillers for some reason so I try not to get them every month! lol