Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
GalGlamorous
CirceGalGlamorous (12)

Having been a huge fan of Neil Gaimon's Norse Mythology i thought it was a good luck for me.

PriestdaddyGalGlamorous (12)

I am really particular about memoirs. There are styles I love and there are styles I just can't stand. I thought I could give this one a try and couldn't finish it. Religion is a theme that provokes a sensitive spot for me to but I am willing to go there from time to time with the right kind of writer. She seemed to have the right kinds of instincts for me in the way she tried to portray her family. What made me out the book down was a sense of boredom. I read another critique that her style is too meandering and that was my real problem with the book.

White FurGalGlamorous (12)

I thought the ending was OK. I guess I was disappointed in the way their relationship evolved and I felt like the writer was pushing to redeem the narrative even though the relationship had clearly been dissolving.

The Couple Next DoorGalGlamorous (12)

I had a similar experience with this book. I felt like it was fun and engaging enough that I did not throw it aside. However I felt like it fell into some stereotypical tropes without it being held together by the characters as well as it could have. And the ending was just hasty and sloppy.

EligibleGalGlamorous (12)

I think that there is a lot of pressure for women to want to be mothers. Liz articulates a list accusations she receives for not wanting to be a mom, Jane uses fertility treatments before she meets Chip and Lydia alludes to needing to explore fertility options after her marriage to Ham. Each of these sisters are exploring the expectations of society's pressure for women to have kids in their own way. I think each of these examples allude to how in embracing a diversity of lifestyles the technology, possibilities and overall tolerance towards many different kinds of families may in fact provide more pressure for a woman to have children.

I Let You GoGalGlamorous (12)

I agree with what everyone said so far. Going to the police may have been the right thing to do. However Ian had told her there would be consequences if she did. She was afraid of what would have happened if she told the truth.

I Let You GoGalGlamorous (12)

I found Ian to have a troubling character. One of the complexities of domestic abuse is that there is something likable or redemptive about that character to the victim. And I had recently read Stephen Kings The Shining where part of what makes Jacks character despicable is that he desires to be a good father and husband but listens to what the ghosts encourage him to do. After Stephen Kings excellent portrayal of abuse I found Ian to be too shallow. Literature and film should produce stories about domestic abuse but too often the stories fall into having the abuser be a very shallow evil man and unfortunately this story fell into that trap.

The NestGalGlamorous (12)

I want to believe that I wouldn't and fiscally keep my feet firmly on the ground. However what the novel highlights well is that it is human nature to allow yourself an indulgence of some kind if you think that there is a large payout coming. The journey that the characters took in the story highlights the downfalls of this kind of dependence.

I think dependence on something that might happen financially is irresponsible money management. I currently have a job with a livable hourly wage and if i make certain goals I get a monthly commission check on top of it. I have constructed a budget for myself that is not dependent on my commission money so that if for some reason i do not make that goal I am not shooting myself in the foot financially. There is something to living my life in a way that does not already have that kind of dependence an extra check.

However in my adult journey back into reading and writing fiction I am encountering the constant reminder that the compelling stories are based off of humanity's imperfections. If the characters in this novel were embodying fiscal responsibility towards the Nest then this would have been a dull, lifeless novel.\

No One KnowsGalGlamorous (12)

I would agree that the ending was inconsistent with the rest of the tone of the novel. I think that the story could have been more satisfying without Chase and Aubrey being married to each other in the end. Don't get me wrong---I love a compelling romantic tale, but I think the overall tone of the novel was delightfully dark and I think that the novel could have been stronger without that chapter.

GalGlamorous (12)
I actually liked this twist in the story line. I thought it made Chase more intertwined with the story. However this was an aspect of the story that felt under developed. I do think there were ways that this aspect of the character could have been used more in the rest of the novel.
The NestGalGlamorous (12)

I think that both points ring true. I think that sibling relationships can evolve past what they were in childhood. They can grow over the years into something more mature. However I think sometimes in tense situations it is easier to revert back to they way you behaved as children.