Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
Hannah
Little Fires EverywhereHannah (33)

I agree. I don't know if she was trying to set up for a sequel but it seemed very unfinished. Overall I loved it though!

SourdoughHannah (33)

I thought it was adorable and avoided being played out as cliche. I think Lois made the right decision and eventually they go back to America and own a restaurant that they live above, so they can follow their dreams and still be part of Mazg culture as "second-story people" - - just second story home owners ;)

I really enjoyed this book and thought that some of the unlikeable aspects of the character made it so real and engrossing. I feel like (except for Trip) every one had motivations and we understood their reasoning behind their actions, even if we didn't necessarily like it or them.

PachinkoHannah (33)

I just ordered Homegoing because the author is coming to my university next month. Excited to hear that it's great!

SourdoughHannah (33)

I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. It was so magical and engrossing. I thought the characters were well-written and realistic. Extremely enjoyable will be one that I recommend to others!

I agree, I haven't finished yet but I agree. I can't wait to see how it ends an my answer may become more impassioned when I finish but so far I am enjoying the ride and resisting trying to google the case because the book is so realistic and gripping.

The Heart's Invisible FuriesHannah (33)

I almost did but I fell like she was kind of a cross between Virginia Woolf and Sylvia Plath!

The Heart's Invisible FuriesHannah (33)

This book was beautiful and I could not put it down! It was such an amazing story about choosing happiness and love even if its not conventional. I loved Cyril and this is easily within my top 5 books of this year and probably my second favorite BOTM pick of all time, behind All the Ugly and Wonderful things!

Goodbye, VitaminHannah (33)

I liked the journal formatting because I thought it was more like talking to a friend at the end of the day and more realistic and more entertaining to read recollections with comments rather than experiencing them in the heat of the moment with her.

Goodbye, VitaminHannah (33)

I agree! It was a perfect and different summer read I had trouble putting down but didn't want it to end. I wish it had been longer!

Final GirlsHannah (33)

I didn't think it was until after she became a final girl that he completely fell for her.

Final GirlsHannah (33)

I found the wrong terminology grating as well. I thought the ending was a little rush and a bit of a cop out in an effort to make a big twist.

I also thought that sleeping with Joe was a little out of character and very insulting to a boyfriend that was practically perfect for her.

The WindfallHannah (33)

Agreed!

Hannah (33)
I enjoyed Upen and Reema but I thought it was a strong book overall. I also thought Mr.Jha was a lot like Michael Scott from the office
ChemistryHannah (33)

It was a bit of an adjustment, and I think it could have been tweaked a little more, but the style was refreshing. I agree that the narrator did seem a bit immature, but I feel like she has never really had to face an adult reality because first her parents, then the best friend, then Eric took care of her. I think her maturing through the book was a good progression and the fact that it was subtle and took time to build, just like real maturation so I thought the style really lent itself to the story and vice versa. If it had been any other format I do not think the book would have been as unique and enjoyable as it was.

The Sisters ChaseHannah (33)

SPOILER

I agree, also I think that it was a little inconsistent with Mary's character not to confirm that it was Stefan on the phone.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn HugoHannah (33)

I kept on wanting to google the different actors and actresses and their movies. So well written, one of my favorite BOTM to date after All the Ugly and Wonderful things and Perfect Little World!

Perfect Little WorldHannah (33)

I absolutely loved him. Reminded me a lot of my grandpa and I thought it was so sweet and appropriate Izzy named her son after him instead of Hal

I think it easily could have been twice the length and I still would have devoured it.

David was a jerk but nothing really happened with him so I feel like that doesn't count as a relationship. It was more of her responding to someone close in age expressing interest in her and she responded, but ultimately her relationships within the family showed her what relationships should be like and unwilling to deal with bullsh*t, like with David or even Hal to a certain extent. I think it mainly has to do with her longing for acceptance and I think with Hal she knew she could be with him but still maintain her a barrier that kept her partially alone. It's not until she has Cap and joins the family that she lets people in the deepest parts of herself.

The Most Dangerous Place on EarthHannah (33)

Stick with it, this was one of the worst books I've read in my life but usually BOTM is good. Excited for this month and I've read some great books like Swimming Lessons and All the Ugly and Wonderful Things.

All the Ugly and Wonderful ThingsHannah (33)
Fangirling just a little bit

Just wanted to say that I am so happy to see All the Ugly and Wonderful Things getting the recognition it deserves? This book is why I joined BOTM and seeing it be a finalist for the Lolly and second for Goodreads fiction novel of the year just makes me so happy. One of the best books I have ever read!

You Will Know MeHannah (33)

I think this was one of the most real books that I have read in awhile, and it kept surprising me throughout, which I really didn't expect. I don't think we really got a full portrait of Eric or his motivations which I think was intended by the author

I agree that Frankenfoot was only helpful to help explain some of Eric's motivations and it was not really explored effectively and I think it could have had more of an impact. Very underutilized

Pull Me UnderHannah (33)

The last few pages were great, and I think that it balanced darkness and reality in a really tasteful way

A Gambler's AnatomyHannah (33)

Same, I was about 1/3 of the way through the book before I really began to enjoy it, but I don't think I ever really sympathized Bruno, which is an interesting reading experience

NicotineHannah (33)

That confused me as well, I think eventually he and Penny will settle into a monogamous relationship

NicotineHannah (33)

That was my exact reading experience as well! The first 100-120 pages I was iffy but after that I had trouble putting it down.

NicotineHannah (33)

The first few chapters were a little rough, and it was overall a very different book than what I usually read, but I still enjoyed it. If you're able to push through I hope it'll be worth it! I was a little iffy on this book since I read the first few pages on amazon before I added it to my box, (A Gambler's Anatomy was my BOTM pick), but it was chosen by my favorite judge and I am glad that I got it in the end. I think that's part of the beauty of BOTM, you read things that maybe wouldn't catch your attention otherwise. Overall it wasn't the best book I've gotten through BOTM, but it still wasn't the worst thing I've ever read.

I never got the impression Falk was Bruno's father, I think that Falk is meant to be almost a very backwards guardian angel of some sorts, meant to look over Bruno but still allow him to struggle on his own

I thought the fact that Bruno's apparent telepathic powers were the least interesting part of the character was a testament to the strength of Lethem's writing. It really helped to add to a rich and complex character, which when written well, is always enjoyable to read.

NicotineHannah (33)

I was really irritated by how self-centered Penny's mother seemed to be . . . I understand being pragmatic and it was a weird relationship, but his death didn't really seem to phase her.

All the Ugly and Wonderful ThingsHannah (33)

I saw him as young, shaven Hagrid