Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
Rachelle
Since We FellRachelle (6)

I think she chose to live the life of a con-man because Brian "rescued" Rachel after she fell apart, in part because of all her mommy/daddy issues. I do think the author had her forgive Brian too quickly though. I'm also not saying that I agree with her choices or that it was the moral thing to do. Just that it seems in keeping with her character.

I agree that the ending left something to be desired. I was ok with Brian and Rachel reconciling, but they seemed to take on Haya's baby as their own awfully quickly, without much remorse or grief. And learning that Haya spoke English and was playing Caleb the whole time seemed unnecessary, since her only role after that was to die.

That part actually didn't bother me. There was a character who said, at some point, that the mother probably committed suicide (I think because she was losing control of her daughter?) and Lee Grayson seemed pretty well established as her father. I agree with TDMiller that these people's stories were mostly there to establish Rachel's character and the fact that she has nobody to help her, to justify how she lost herself so much.

You Will Know MeRachelle (6)

Agree, too, but I also think there's an element of pride and ambition to some of the secrets. Having the truth about Ryan's murder become public knowledge would certainly derail Devon's gymnastics career, which is something not only Devon but her parents have put their whole lives into.

Helen at one point in the book makes a reference to how we never really know our children, and I think that applies to Katie. There were a lot of things Devon was hiding from her. I agree with Jamie, though, that Katie also didn't want to know. Especially when Drew told her his dreams over and over, and she always completely dismissed them.

I don't blame Eric for the events leading up to Ryan's death. I think he did push Devon about breaking up with him, but I imagine many parents would react this way when they find out their 14 (16?) year old daughter is sleeping with an older guy. I do blame him for not telling Katie as soon as he found out and for helping his daughter cover everything up.

Unfortunately, I also don't think Katie ever learns her lesson, at least as far as seeing those traits negatively in herself. Instead, I think she embraces the pride, focus, and secrets.

I agree that Devon's focus on gymnastics and qualifying for Elite made her compartmentalize, pushing aside her more human side. I saw that, too, when her mom visited the school and saw the way the other kids treated her, especially all the crude remarks. Devon knew what she wanted and knew she could be extraordinary, but I was still shocked at how she and her mom both just ignored the remarks. I could see how Devon had to, though, to continue to focus all her energies on gymnastics. She didn't have time for the typical teenage drama.

I had a hard time, though, accepting that she'd go so far as to kill Ryan and seem to feel so little regret. The way I understand it is partly because of her parents. They both focused on gymnastics and the Olympic goal so much that they never seem to think of telling the truth or giving Devon any consequences.